[LAU] RME HDSP 9632 - amixer control

Klaus Schulz kls.schlz at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 23 06:20:03 EDT 2009

Hi Giso and others.

If you read the thread at alsa-devel - you refered to below - it seems that
more people were facing this issue already in 2003.

It seems that the whole thing works only, if you use the default
setting/routing.

Currently at factory default  HDSPmixer routes the first playback channel to
the first Adat output, which happens to sit right below playback out1/out2
in the HDSPmixer graphics.

Correspondingly this  would mean I need to use an Alsaplayback channel out
13/14  to get to AN3+4. I think it is worth a try.
But - how do I output data to alsa-playback channel 13/14 on my device 0 ? I
am using ecasound and alsaoutput 0,0 right now for out1/out2. No idea how to
assign 13/14.

Since the earlier discussed amixer method won't work -- at least in my case
- I am wondering if the commands

/usr/bin/amixer -c 0 cset numid=5 26,2,32768
/usr/bin/amixer -c 0 cset numid=5 27,3,32768

reflect the HDSP logic:

The logic in HDSPmixer to setup the route from Alsa Out1/Out2 to my AN3+4
output:

1. Assign playback channels Out1/Out2 to AN3+4 output channels. This will
automatically mute playback channels out1/out2 . Now you need to unmute the
playback channels.
Only this action will activate the new outputs. ( This you'll see if you
look in the HW-output selection field)

The output channels AN3+AN4 themselves run at 100% or 0db at factory
default. No need to touch them. However would be nice to know how to control
these with amixer.

(Note: What's strange though playback output 15/16 is muted by default!?!)

Were not yet ready:

To get rid of a connection e.g. the default Adat routing, since now traffic
is routed to AN3+4 AND Adat A1+2 you:

2. Select the Adat channels A1/A2 on playback channel Out1/Out2. Now you
mute and then unmute manually playback channels Out1/Out2. Without this
manual action nothing will change.
   No idea how to do that with amixer.

The mute/unmute of playback outputs seem to play fundamental role in the
routing process. Perhaps something in this area goes wrong. Again: Is there
a way to explicitely control  channel
volume with amixer?

( Beside that I figured that  "mute" on MASTER and Playback Outs, does not
work at all with HDSPmixer)

Cheers
\Klaus