[LAU] a strange little song..

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:38:31 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:22:01 +0100
> James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just recorded this song last night on qtractor.. guitar thru vamp2
>> bass direct in, vocals thu Sampson C01 and Behringer minimic800. Drums..
>>   soundfont.. and spent 2 mins on them !!:)
>>
>> http://drop.io/jjoskmy
>>
>> I think the song is way too high for my vocal range, and the mix seems
>> very suspect, but I'm not too sure about how to resolve it..
>>
>> This is actually a song I wrote for my band (with a female singer),
>> which never seems to work very well, and I wanted to record it myself to
>> see where we are going wrong - I think I recorded it way too fast which
>> isn't a good start - should be more like 100bpm.. beyond that, it also
>> needs to be really tight to sound even slightly OK. I'm really
>> considering dropping it - but suggestions about how to improve the
>> overall sound/composition would also be appreciated!
>>
>> James
>  Hi.
> I'm late to the party (as usual).
> This is quite a fun quirky little song. To me, the relatively minor
> defects enhance rather than detract from it. I wonder what reaction
> you'd get from a real audience. Have you tried it?

Thanks for your lovely comments!

Yes I have played it live with the band.. generally the reaction is of
bemusement, and a half-hearted trickle of applause.. I was trying to
work out why (apart from the fact it ends in a strange way), as most
of our other songs seem to go down much better.

This little recording experiment has showed me that it needs to be
played quite a lot slower than we were doing it, and secondly, that
the rhythm guitar must be very simple to avoid conflicting with the
other rhythmic aspects of the song.. Not got round to re-recording it
though (or playing it with the band again).

James