[LAU] [Zynaddsubfx-user] yoshimi bug fixes

Chris Edwards cme at ihug.co.nz
Sat Oct 24 00:51:19 EDT 2009

fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:21:50AM +1100, cal wrote:
>
>> On the subject of the metering display behaving erratically (as distinct
>> from displaying incorrect values) ... standard zyn refreshes the gui at
>> 25 fps, and to my mind that leaves the metering looking unduly sluggish.
>
> That just depends on the algorithm driving the meter.
> Jkmeter refreshes at 25 Hz by default, and the peak
> indication doesn't look sluggish at all (the RMS one
> does, but that is by design). If your meter is supposed
> to display peak values then the algorithm than computes
> them should hold the max value for some time before
> letting it fall back, in jkmeters this is half a second.
> If you do that the refresh rate just determines how
> smooth the fallback is, and nothing else.

I used to be put off by meters that looked slow, until I realised how useful RMS meters were and how long the windowing time needs to be to capture the bass frequencies. :)  Fons, I've been wondering, though, does the update rate in jkmeter affect the measurement window, or just the display rate?

I've also been wondering what the purpose of the fall-of on peak meters is.  Why not just reset the peak level immediately and let it get bumped up again by the signal?  Am I right in thinking it used in the past to make the meter ballistics a little more representative of the average level?

Lastly, does the K-System itself specify any particular windowing interval?

BTW, thank you Fons for all your excellent audio software - a great collection of truly useful utilities. :)

Chris