[LAU] [Zynaddsubfx-user] yoshimi bug fixes

Chris Edwards cme at ihug.co.nz
Sun Oct 25 06:37:43 EDT 2009

fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> The dynamic behaviour of jkmeters (and also of the VU and
> PPM meters in jmeters) is very strictly defined. The values
> that are displayed are calculated in a way that does not
> depend on the display update rate, and (within reasonable
> limits) also not on the Jack period size. A level meter
> would just be useless eye-candy otherwise. [...]
Ah, thank you - very illuminating (and reassuring) answers.  You
certainly see meters around (in consumer hardware, as well as software)
that you just know are really nothing but eye-candy! ;)

The VU meter is I think another interesting example of the
cheap-and-easy in the analog domain being quite different from the
cheap-and-easy in digital.  I've personally never used a hardware VU
meter in recording, so to me, DPMs seem like the traditional meter type,
and the averaging ones are the new-fangled ones. :)

As for meter refresh rates, I always appreciate a user setting for this
- though theoretically I guess you could do things like determining the
display hardware's refresh rate and varying the refresh rate depending
on reserve CPU capacity.

Thanks again,
Chris