[LAU] Anticipating - a new song from Meditera Production

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Oct 28 16:12:51 EDT 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:15:33 +0000
Viktor Mastoridis <viktor at mastoridis.co.uk> wrote:

> Well, it's the season of music presenting I guess, so here's my bit:
>
> http://mastoridis.co.uk/temp/linux/Anticipating.ogg
>
> Anticipating a simple tune with a few challenges set.
>
> 1. To make a v simple chord progression interesting for 3 mins
> 2. To start the collaboration with Richard Miles. Richard is a colleague of
> mine and a science teacher. Last year he discovered his amazing talent for
> poetry and already wrote 15 samizdat (self-published) poetry books. I sent
> him the basic idea, and he returned the lyrics, basically;-]
> 3. To further learn the art of final production on Linux Audio. This time
> using the wonderful Linux DSP suite on AVLinux - particulary the Valve
> Compressor and the Graphic Eq while mastering. The vocals and bouzouki use
> the Linux DSP Reverb as well.
>
> Critical comments (deserved) and praises (undeserved) are welcomed.

Nothing wrong with basing a tune on a repeated simple chord progression.
Do it right and you give the listener a subliminal 'hook' especially if
it's hummable.

I like what you've done here. The lyrics are the song, the progression
is the scaffold. I think you have introduced just enough variation, to
keep it interesting without taking people's attention away from the
song.

After the second listen it's teetering on the brink of my 'keep'
folder :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk