[LAU] qjackctl gets confused when used through ssh -X

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Oct 29 15:01:33 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:43 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 03:31:24PM +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> first ask why you want more than one qjackctl instance running?
>
> I'm routinely running audio systems consisting of more than
> one machine, with usually all but one headless. And occasionally
> I want to manually verify/modify jack connections on the remote
> machines. So running 'ssh -X somehost qjacktl' is expected to
> work, as it should for any X11 app, and must not depend on
> conditions that don't matter.

although in theory i agree with you fons, i note that firefox and a
few others from the mozilla stable have realized that with
"heavyweight" X apps, this is not *always* true.

i certainly think that for an app of qjackctl's size/nature, checking
to see if its already running *on the JACK host* can make sense, but i
don't see how it makes sense to ask the same question about a display
server. what is the scope of the resources that qjc has implicit
control over? the audio interface and/or jack server on a given host.
what is the scope of the resources that the X server has implicit
control over? itself and the screen it controls. given that these are
not linked, and qjc is a lightweight application, running N or more on
the same X server seems to me to be something that should "just work".