[LAU] qjackctl gets confused when used through ssh -X

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Oct 29 18:13:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 09:51:54PM +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> okidoki :)
>
> however, i must say there's already support for just that although
> indirectly, through qjackctl presets.
>
> in summary, you can have presets with different server paths, for
> instance, one preset named as MYPRESET for which the server path is
> "jackd -n MYJACK", where MYJACK will be the server name. then you can
> invoke it trough the command line as
>
>   qjackctl --start --preset=MYPRESET
>
> right, but that only works for _starting_ servers, not to attach to
> already existing ones. that would be the precise purpose of the new
> command line option you're asking for (-n, --server-name=[label], sets
> the default server name) perhaps, right?

> please note, that's also what the environment variable
> (JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER) already does as part of the jackd specification
> (jack 1 at least), so the new option will be an added convenience

As usual, command line paramters should take precedence over
environment variables, which take precendence over per-user (~/*)
configuration files, which take precedence over global (/etc/*)
configuration.

For me, the ideal situation would be that

  qjackctl --preset=XYZ

would use ~/.jackdrc-XYZ, or without -n, just ~/.jackdrc.

This would mean that qjackctl wouldn't have to store any jackd
configuration itself, just its own. It could still offer to edit
the named .jackrc-* via the config dialog.

Ciao,

--
FA