[LAU] Anticipating - a new song from Meditera Production

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Oct 31 01:13:13 EDT 2009

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:15:33AM +0000, Viktor Mastoridis wrote:
>
>> Well, it's the season of music presenting I guess, so here's my bit:
>>
>> http://mastoridis.co.uk/temp/linux/Anticipating.ogg
>>
>> Anticipating a simple tune with a few challenges set.
>>
>> 1. To make a v simple chord progression interesting for 3 mins
>> 2. To start the collaboration with Richard Miles. Richard is a colleague of
>> mine and a science teacher. Last year he discovered his amazing talent for
>> poetry and already wrote 15 samizdat (self-published) poetry books. I sent
>> him the basic idea, and he returned the lyrics, basically;-]
>> 3. To further learn the art of final production on Linux Audio. This time
>> using the wonderful Linux DSP suite on AVLinux - particulary the Valve
>> Compressor and the Graphic Eq while mastering. The vocals and bouzouki use
>> the Linux DSP Reverb as well.
>>
>> Critical comments (deserved) and praises (undeserved) are welcomed.
>>

> Wow, that's really good! Cute song, nice pop hit-song style production.
>
> The singing reminds me of "Cool for Cats" by Squeeze.
>
> The bouzoki is excellent and fits perfectly.
>
> That drum machine is hilarious. That's one snappy Alesis D-4 1980's snare you got going on, and a 90's-style techno kick drum. Were those done in Hydrogen?
>
> Very well-recorded. The whole thing is catchy. I think you have a hit. Might want to put that up on iTunes, I bet it'll sell.

Yes I agree. After listening to it a couple of times I am now finding
myself singing away to it while doing competely unrelated things like
tidying the house or walking down the street or even compiling software...

Very apt lyrics for a Linux production. I like the ska vibe and your vocals are addictively different and unique enough to be cool not awkward.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd