[LAU] ALSA alphanumeric with subdevices?

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sat Oct 31 23:57:38 EDT 2009

I have my primary box nice and solid now, and it is working very well
setting all ALSA output to hw:HD2, HD2 being the alphanumeric name of my
sound card.  Today I installed Sabayon 5 on an old Toshiba laptop I keep
around.  It is using today's conventional desktop
everything-->ALSA/Pulse-->ALSA-->hardware setup, and it said audio was
working AOK -- but no sound came out.  I checked the highest level,
Pulse, and noticed that Pulse said there were two possible stereo audio
outs, the default and one more.  I set it to the one more, and all is
well for now.  There is no /etc/asound.conf, and there is no ~/.asoundrc.

The catch is, numeric ALSA device names appear to be in use, which means
when I get the USB audio input for it, things will probably get
juggled.  So, I want to convert this laptop to the nice and stable
alphanumeric ALSA device names.  Both of the stereo audio outs of this
laptop have the same alphanumeric name, one of them is listed as device
1, the other as device 4.  They don't look like subdevices, but the only
really solid reference data I have found is aplay -l and -L, and
/proc/asound/cards, none of which are giving me data I can solidly
depend on.  So:  Where is the best place to find this data, besides the
qjackctl setup dialog (Jack won't be running on this laptop)?  How does
one tell ALSA to choose between multiple alphanumeric devices of the
same name?  And also, can one use alphanumeric device names with
subdevice designations, a la hw:XYZ.1 ?

J.E.B.