[LAU] Fwd: What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Tue Sep 1 13:08:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Brett McCoy wrote:

> That's precisely my point I was saying earlier. :-) If I were doing
> more loop-based music, I'd be all over something like Live (or some
> Linux approximation), but I am doing progressive heavy metal and
> orchestral/symphonic music, so Live (or some Linux approximation)
> would not work so well doing that. Not saying that kind of music
> *can't* be done using something like Live, it's just not really suited
> for it (at least going by what I read on the website), whereas
> traditional DAW & sequencer apps work very well for that.

That's one reason that I like that in Ardour, you can make the timeline
rulers for bars/beats/etc. invisible.  A lot of the music I record has
time that is not generated by a machine, and the DAW is not syncing to
anything.  A beat timeline is useless for projects like that.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky