[LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Wed Sep 2 05:04:52 EDT 2009

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 21:51:35 +0200
Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
>
> > Give them a out-of-the-box realtime kernel and a GUI
> >> launch/interconnect manager for their audio apps and they will
> >> come...
> >
> > Those are all there, just a real session management is missing, and
> > I'm quite sure that it won't ever happen as long as it stays a
> > one-man-show or multiple one-man-shows. Instead it would need a
> > collaborative effort, including those developers who actively
> > develop the main linux audio applications, nothing less.
> >

> I think I agree with you.  A Lash kind of thing is good for all LAU
> users, but also for devs of other (main) apps, like Ardour for
> instance. It will make Linux more attractive for pro audio usage,
> user base will grow and that could be good for
> donations/documentation/promotion etc.
>
> And yes, Lash seems to be a one-man-show now... but it seems it
> wasn't developing well before that... (I don't know the ins and outs
> of it).

Afaik it went through three pairs of hands since it exists, and now we
have a fork that I think won't be the solution either, mainly because
it can't restore the clients internal state and needs dbus enabled
jack, which is either a patched jack1 or jack2, both having it's share
of problems.

> Would be better if more people will help to develop a Lash kind of
> thing.
>
> \r

Yep, I think so, but it would need to be used by high profile apps like
ardour and a bunch of others to encourage application developers to
integrate it in their apps as well.

Philipp