[LAU] Simple sampler DSSI/ VSTi/ lv2 for qtractor?

Leigh Dyer leigh at eclinic.com.au
Thu Sep 3 09:39:42 EDT 2009

James Stone wrote:
> I've recently been having a play around with qtractor, and am very
> impressed.. I particularly like the fact that all linux-based
> instrument plugins work out of the box. The one thing that seems to be
> missing (not from qtractor but from the available plugins) to my mind
> is a simple sampler like specimen that will run as a DSSI or lv2
> plugin. The only couple of solutions I can think of for playing drum
> samples are to make up a soundfont and load that in one of the
> sondfont playing plugins. Alternatively, there are a couple of DSSI
> sample players, but they can only load one sample per instance.. still
> might be the best option. Does anyone know of a better solution?

You could always use Hydrogen as a straight drum synth; while it's great
as an all-in-one drum sequencer, it works just as well as an ALSA MIDI
synth, taking MIDI data from a separate sequencer. I've done this with
both Rosegarden and seq24 in the past, and while it's not as all-in-one
as having a DSSI synth plug-in, it works well all the same.

Thanks
Leigh