[LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Sep 3 10:38:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:25:47 -0400
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Rob<lau at kudla.org> wrote:
> > While you and those who posted followups to your post have piled about 50
> > pounds of snark on the idea, presets are indeed extremely important.
> > Having most of your available effects produce something unusable by
> > default, or worse yet, no noise at all, only helps engineers and John Cage
> > wannabes with too much time on their hands whose music is made only for
> > other engineers and John Cage wannabes with too much time on their hands.
> > The software becomes less a tool and more an impediment to creativity.
>
> do you consider brian eno to be an engineer or a john cage wannabe?

Wow, flashback time!  I remember reading a magazine (Electronic Musician?)
which would publish patches for various synths back when I had a CZ-101
(I miss that keyboard!).  I bought an issue because it had a piano patch
for the CZ (which sounded pretty damn good) and there was one in there
for a DX7 which was done by Brian Eno.  I clearly remember him writing
that he hated presets, and that he preferred to work from scratch in
developing his patches.  I believe he also said something about how he
couldn't stand all the music that came out that never used anything besides
the default presets.  I'll have to go dig that out, I'm pretty sure I
still have it.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com