[LAU] Music made with linux - "det nu"

Atte Andre Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 18:18:15 EDT 2009

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

 > Why do you make electronic music? You did a study for Jazz piano right?

Lot's of reasons.

1) The whole idea behind modlys is something mediative and abstract,
soundscapes with a few words here and there. I try to cross a few
borders, mixing pop, jazz, electronica, avantgarde, stretching the
listeners patience and activating her imagination. I felt that could
only be achieved through electronic music.

2) I've been making electronic music even before I started to play real
music. There's just something about it. Everything not 100% acoustic was
banned at "the bebop factory" and regarded as inferior. I guess modlys
is one of my reactions to that and a way to move out of the shadows of
my (fantastic) teachers.

3) Playing so much bebop as I do, it's like cleaning my musical soul. I
love bebop and consider myself a bebop pianist at heart, but "all these
notes" in a pretty pre-defined musical setting means it's so liberating
to work with something else, to try to rid the melody of anything
unnecessary and to compose and improvise in a style I (at least feel I)
create and discover as I go along.

4) Finally, it's very difficult to live from playing jazz, esp bebop. I
don't complain, I do have gigs, sometimes enough to start looking like
an income, but no enough to keep me busy every day. Instead of sitting
with "my hands in my lap" (as a Danish saying goes), I might as well do
*something* with the creativity I believe I have inside.

I hope that didn't sound too selfcentered, or "I'm interesting and
important" or something along those lines. That wasn't the intention.
It's just a little complex for me to give an honest answer, which I tried...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte