[LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 3 21:27:04 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Rob<lau at kudla.org> wrote:
> Kind of both, since he went to art school, but I don't think you can deny
> he's had too much time on his hands since getting rich off of Roxy.

i think you're a little misinformed. eno has made much more as a
producer than he ever did with roxy music.

> For people who need to get work done and don't have time to dick around for
> months, having defaults as examples to start with is essential.  Besides,
> given any synth that actually has presets, for every preset-wiping Eno
> there's a preset-wiping Wakeman who proves how very, very important presets
> are to not sounding terrible.

eno is arguably one of the most important 10 producers in the world,
certainly in terms of influence if not in terms of absolute record
sales.
his work with U2 and more recently coldplay is just a minor part of
the immense impact he has had on contemporary music. his entire style
of working is a continual denial of almost everything you are
claiming. it doesn't render your point invalid - presets are
incredibly useful and for some people, they are actually essential.
but it also serves as an indication that you can make phenomenally
popular and occasionally rather innovative music in ways that are
based around constantly trying to find the fastest way to get "the
sound". there's room for everyone under the big tent of music, and no
single road to goodness, fame or even fortune.

--p