[LAU] Using USB keyboard knobs and sliders in linux

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 07:53:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Josh Lawrence<hardbop200 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Matt Henley<nwmatt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently got access (on loan) to a Edirol PCR-300 USB midi keyboard.
>>  When I plug it into the computer it shows up under QJackCtl and is
>> quite usable as a midi keyboard for the Synths that I use (ZynAddSubFX
>> and AmSynth).  The question that I have is that the keyboard has a
>> full compliment of sliders, pads and rotary knobs which I don't know
>> how to use for anything.  Is there documentation on how to set these
>> up to control parameters on software such as
>
> Hey Matt,
>
> One thing to note:  In qjackctl, you'll notice that the PCR has three
> entries, PCR MIDI, PCR1 and PCR2.  IIRC, one of the MIDI devices sends
> keyboard MIDI data, while the other sends controller (knob, slider)
> data.  It's in the manual, I can't recall which is which, but at least
> you'll be on the lookout for it.  :)
>
> --
hi Matt,

there are applications like kmidimon and gmidimon for monitoring MIDI,
they might be useful for checking the data coming from the Edirol.

In the case of ZynAddSubFx there are a limited set of fixed controller
numbers assigned to certain parameters, found here:
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc_3.html

AmSynth has menu item: Config -> MIDI Controllers

In Phasex: right click on parameter name

It is pretty much different for each app.

If translation of midi signals is required, qmidiroute or
even pd (overkill but flexible) are useful.

best,