[LAU] KMS and xruns

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 5 15:36:28 EDT 2009

Ray Rashif wrote:
> I was overjoyed after my last attempt at running the latest intel driver
> and setting up KMS for it, only to later find out that this had a high
> price. The xruns are horribly too many, and events that trigger them are
> window minimise/restore/maximise, disabling/enabling compositing, even
> changing tabs in a window!
>
> Now I'm starting KMS before even my initscripts run, very early in
> userspace, and I've tried running it later as well - to no avail. I'm
> back to a regular environment without this KMS thing, partly content
> (that I'm safe again) and partly disappointed (I thought I almost had
> the perfect system).
>
> Now I would really like to know from someone in-the-know why and how KMS
> are underruns are related. I'm sure this is not intel-specific.

Very high likelihood that they are Intel-specific. I bet your Intel
audio and video share an interrupt, either with each other or with
something else (like built-in wireless) ... It's no consolation, but the
Intel hardware in my Toshiba laptop gives me xruns when the display is
updated.

Folk on the list have posted various command lines to see what hardware
is using what interrupts. I don't remember what they were, sorry.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community