[LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Sep 6 08:28:36 EDT 2009

On Sunday 06 September 2009 07:36:23 Hartmut Noack wrote:
> These presets do not need to be particular useful in a music
> production but they should demonstrate the capabilies of the software to
> easily enable the user to build his/her own custom, perfect sound with
> as much ease as possible.

I think I disagree with this. I think that the software should come with a
nice library of *useful* presets or that there should be a community site
where they can be easily had.

The is nothing wrong with the software being fun for the kid in grade school
who starts out going the preset route. Sure, let it be open ended for the
serious artist but give the dabblers something to play with as well.

Plus, we don't always know where people's talents lie and where they lack. We
don't know if they are currently plugged in with a group who can supply the
lack or if they would be at sea at the moment if not for the presets.

Say they have an idea and aren't plugged into a group right now. They can't
get the knack of sound design. But with good presets they can come close to
their vision. They put out the "good enough" version using presets and it
gets enough interest that someone with sound design talents hooks up with
them and together they get the intended sound.

> best regards
>
> HZN

all the best,

drew