[LAU] Ext3 or JFS (or other) for linux audio?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sun Sep 6 19:42:14 EDT 2009

I enjoyed this article about building a monster storage box:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

It recommends using JFS for a file system. Wikipedia says the advantage of JFS is that it is good for a variety of sizes of files, from very small to very large.

For Linux Audio use, what filesystem do you recommend? I'll be storing mostly WAV files, lots of little XML, gzipped-XML, and text files, teeny MIDI files, and some massive MPEG videos.

I've been using ext3 for years, just because it's the default and I'm used to it. But I'm formatting a new 1TB drive for linux audio use, and wondered if I might should explore some of the other options out there.

Advantages/disadvantages of using a non-ext3 filesystem for linux audio?

-ken