[LAU] OT: unbalanced to balanced

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:55:48 EDT 2009

This is so way-OT, but I trust the knowledge on this list in general,
so I'm hoping someone can help me...

I've extracted a little mono amp out of a pair of computer speakers
that I would like to use as a general practice/noise amp.  It
currently has a balanced 1/8" input.  The wires going to the input
are:  black, white, and a braid of wires (I'm assuming shield?).  I'd
like to cut this 1/8" plug off and add a 1/4" female jack so I can
plug stuff into it.  But where do I solder the wires to?  (i.e., black
to tip, white to sleeve, that kind of thing)  I have access to stereo
and mono 1/4" jacks.

Thanks, and sorry again for the OT.

PS - I've read that the proper way to do this is to use an audio
transformer, but that's WAY overkill for this project, I just want
sound to come out, nothing audiophile or anything like that.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com