[LAU] Ext3 or JFS (or other) for linux audio?

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 06:05:23 EDT 2009

2009/9/9 Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de>

> On Wednesday 09 September 2009 09:25:28 Ray Rashif wrote:
> > Or maybe hdparm -Tt $disk on one with ntfs-3g and other with ext3, look
> out
> > for any significant difference.
>
> As far as I know hdparm tests are independent of the filesystem. At least
> here
> I can also test directly on disks via /dev/sda or on unformatted disks...
>
> If you want the performance of the filesystem, you have to run a real
> benchmark.
>
> Also, don't format one disk with ext3 and one with ntfs and compare these
> and
> claim a "true" result. Because then you haven't compared ext3 with ntfs but
> "ext3 on disk1" with "ntfs on disk2". Before saying anything about the
> results, you have to also do "ext3 on disk2" and "ntfs on disk1".
>
> Arnold

No, you're right, hdparm is raw r/w and sees no FS. Slipped my mind for a
moment.

You can have one extra disk for this benchmark, and time operations on them.
Might want to follow http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388 as
closely as possible, with the exception that you're comparing only two of
them. I might try this on an external disk, where the bottleneck is the
USB/interface speed, but FS differences can still be observed.