[LAU] Ext3 or JFS (or other) for linux audio?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Sep 9 09:08:58 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 14:25:17 James Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 06:05:23PM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> > No, you're right, hdparm is raw r/w and sees no FS. Slipped my mind for a
> > moment.
> Well ... you *might* create a big file on the filesystem, then use
> losetup to bind it to a block device, and *then* use hdparm on that
> loopback device.  ;-)

If file systems have problems with continuous reads from a continuous file.
Otherwise I really doubt that you will see something file-system specific.

BTW: Doing a real benchmark still requires one run with hdparm to get the
maximum values for the transfer rates...

> Opinion ... I've never found any use for filesystem performance
> measurement in audio applications ... it has never been the critical
> path for me.  As soon as the total data flow approaches the limit
> imposed by the filesystem, then anything can cause a pause ... even a
> disk drive thermal recalibration or a response to excessive vibration.
> Such things cause a momentary delay, and if I'm trying to use the disk
> the filesystem I'm using won't matter at all.

I think for plain recording it shouldn't make a difference. When playback
occurs, there are multiple files involved and it could be the seeks also depend
on how the file systems lays out the files on disk. So that might have an
influence. If this information isn't cached in ram.

Otherwise its just a matter of taste and bad experience. For example there are
three types of people regarding reiserfs: Those that haven't used it yet,
those that have used it and love it and finally those that had used it and lost
data because of it...

Arnold