[LAU] Linux Compatible Audio Interface with ADAT?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Sep 10 04:06:18 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thursday 10 September 2009 03:13:21 Zachary Klein wrote:
> I posted this question at the 64Studio forum, but didn't really get a
> direct answer so I figured I try the list.
> I am looking for a way to get ADAT IO to my computer. I would like to use
> one of the many eight-channel mic-preamp units that output ADAT, and the
> only cards I can find that support ADAT IO and linux are RME's Hammerfall
> line. However, I would rather not be tied to PCI cards, and the
> Hammerfalls' IO is really overkill for my needs (I'm only looking for eight
> channels; a single ADAT connection is all I want).
> Are there any other Linux compatible cards (preferably USB or FIrewire)
> that support ADAT IO?

Focusrite Saffire PRO40 and PRO24 (and possible others) have adat. The pro40 has
2 io's, the pro24 has one adat in. Both are supported as in "the manufacturer
provided a device and all necessary information".

The RME Fireface are making progress as in "the manufacturer provided a device
and all (you get it?)".

Basically all devices listed as "Supported" on ffados homepage (www.ffado.org)
are good. With an exception of the Motu, which work but without vendor
support, so you shouldn't buy them if you intend to use them with linux.

USB is not an option for you as usb1.1 doesn't have enough bandwidth for adat
and usb2 has no audio-standard, that is used by any devices.

Have fun,

Arnold