[LAU] PortAudio and Audacity+jack

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Thu Sep 10 11:31:04 EDT 2009

Peter Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 02:00 +0200, hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:43:32 -0700
>> Scott <lau at troutpocket.org> wrote:
>
>>> In a pinch, is there another mp3 capable audio player that works with
>>> jack without jumping through any more hoops than just starting the
>>> app?
>> Lots. Mediaplayers like mplayer, xine, vlc, audioplayers like mpd,
>> aqualung, audacious, audio editors like rezound and others
>
> Are people actually using Audacity as just an MP3 player? Have I missed
> some setting that makes it suitable for that? Whenever I've loaded
> Audacity it is an audio editing environment, not a player.

I didn't explain my purpose for using Audacity.  I use it to play MP3 files, but also
to change their tempo while preserving the pitch so I can learn drum and guitar parts
for complicated riffs.  It's excellent for this purpose.  I've tried a few other tempo
control apps before but they were excessively choppy.  It's been a while so if anyone
can recommend one that works better than Audacity these days, I'd love to hear it.

-Scott