[LAU] As promised!

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Sep 12 16:41:21 EDT 2009

Inspiration is a very strange thing. On this occasion there were a
number of quite separate things going on in my world.

It was early spring and someone had commented on magnificant sunrises
there were seeing. My reply was that lately it seemed all my sunrises
were just shades of grey. Someone else commented that it sounded like a
song title.

At that time I had just devised a new voice patch for my favourite
synthesiser, and had recorded just a few chords. Quite unexpectedtly I
played a few notes that exactly fitted the phrase 'All of my sunrises
are shades of grey'.

Some six months previously, I had gone to the funeral of a very dear
friend and had been deeply touched by how alone his widow suddenly
looked. This must have been going round in the back of my mind, and
once triggered by that phrase, and the sad melody, the entire song was
written and the music substantially recorded in one day. Normally a
composition takes months for me to develop.

My next problem was singing. I collaborated with a friend who did a
very good job, but have always wanted to sing it myself. It has taken
about two years to get up to my current standard. This is not good, but
I think is just about listenable.

http://www.musically.me.uk/music/All_Of_My_Sunrises.ogg

All of my sunrises are shades of grey,
Now that I'm on my own.
There's no laughter,
No joy now,
You left me behind.
Gone where I can not say.
So all of my sunrises are shades of gray,
Now that you've gone away.

All of my sunrises are shades of grey,
You were the only one.
In our springtime,
We'd run through,
The meadows and streams.
Oh how we loved to play.
Now all of my sunrises are shades of grey,
The meadows have all turned to clay.

All of my sunrises are shades of grey.
We loved each other so.
We were honest,
And faithful,
Through trials and pain.
Though we were poor, we stayed.
But all of my sunrises are shades of gray,
No riches would help me today.

All of my sunrises are shades of grey,
I said goodbye in tears.
Though our children,
Are with me,
I know they must go.
They have their own lives too.
So all of my sunrises are shades of grey,
There's nothing for me, without you.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk