[LAU] [Zynaddsubfx-user] zyn and the art of software maintenance

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Tue Sep 15 16:05:15 EDT 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:53:36 +1000
cal <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:

> A while back I floated a theory or two on how to improve ZynAddSubFX'
> jack io. It has progressed to a fairly functional form, ie, no crackling,
> and it generally keeps up with proceedings fairly well.
>
> Thanks in no small part to the outstanding debugging efforts of James Morris,
> most (if not all) of the accidental "colourations" to the generated sound
> seem to have been resolved.
>
> And the jack midi implementation no longer destroys the entire goal of jack
> midi. I thought that was important.
>
> Snapshot tarball at <http://www.graggrag.com/?q=node/19> for those interested.
>
> Mark, if you're thinking of integrating the jack driver, I reckon this is
> probably as good as I'm going to get it :-).
>
> cheers, Cal

Well I don't know if this was intended, but it's arrived in Linux
Audio, not Zyn!

Anyway, progress report :)

First stab at ccmake .  gave the error 'Empty cache', but when I did a
plain cmake . by mistake, the repeated ccmake .  lo and behold editable
fields magically appeared.

Anothe run as cmake . told my that 'unset' in CMakeLists.txt was not
recognised, so I commented out the three lines from No. 63.

After that I got the complaint that also was not there - well it damn
well is :) The script was being too optimistic. The alsa version I'm
running is 1.0.16 and changing the script to accept that seems to work.

Initial results running the synth are very good indeed. However there
is a problem with reverb -> initial delay. It always comes up at 40,
and changing the control has no effect at all. This is particularly
noticeable with Wet Brass in Raspberry Jam where there are very short
stabbing chords.

I'll do some more testing hopefully tomorrow, but I must say it is
looking very promising indeed.

P.S.
Overdrive sounds really good :)

--