[LAU] Wine + Firefox + Flash == No Audio with ALSA... SOLVED!

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Sep 17 23:44:53 EDT 2009

After all this, you'll love what the solution was.

Audio appeared to be workin in Flash on my 32-bit Lenny netbook with an HDA-Intel card. But there was one small problem-- no sound actually came out of the card.

In alsamixer, nothing I used previously ever actually made use of the PCM fader-- not JACK, not Ekiga, not mplayer, not anything that I used. So I had gotten into the habit of leaving it at zero most of the time. The LineOut fader is the one that actually did work, so that's what I used.

There was one exception though. Flash audio, for some reason, actually makes use of the PCM fader.

I brought up the PCM fader, and, lo and behold, no Wine required, the regular proprietary Adobe Flash for Linux, and regular Iceweasel for Lenny, and I now can watch Jon Stewart at last and hear what he's saying. Yay.

Thanks to everyone who responded. For future reference: "check your ALSA faders first" is good advice for anyone with audio trouble in Flash.

-ken