[LAU] zyn and the art of software maintenance

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 05:02:38 EDT 2009

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:

>>> I kind of figured that I might have an issue with my version of jack,
>>> so I took it upon myself to seek out 64studio's lenny backports and
>>> added them to my /etc/apt/sources.list.  I dist-upgraded my way to
>>> recent jack happiness, and was able to play with the synth - it works
>>> wonderfully!
>>>

> Ok, I upgraded to jackd 1.9 from 64studio. It performs much better now.
>
> All though I have about 1000 xruns after playing with it and changing
> some banks (I used the Debian default kernel, which is good for other
> apps I used, but I'll try the 64studio kernel later)
>
> So the Jack support of Zyn is getting better with newer jack but it
> needs quite some improvements too..
>
> I also get messages in my terminal
>
> jack client reports error: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
> jack client reports error: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
> jack client reports error: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
> jack client reports error: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4
> Too may notes - notes > poliphony, PartNoteOn()
> Too may notes - notes > poliphony, PartNoteOn()
> Too may notes - notes > poliphony, PartNoteOn()
> Too may notes - notes > poliphony, PartNoteOn()
>
> \r

Ok, did some testing with the 64studio RT kernel. No scientific research
though...

The kernel improves it a bit. So do setting off realtime in jackd.

The thing improves it the most is upgrading jack to 1.9
Also enlarging frames/period improves is pretty much.

But still a lot of xruns and sometimes little ticks and clicks. Not all
the banks perform equally well...

I still got
jack client reports error: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 4

So enough things left to improve things.

@Ken, I can imagine you use this thing live with a certain instrument
bank, but imo this is absolutely not enough quality and stability for
using it as live synth, especially not if you want to use different
banks. We shouldn't put our standards to low imho... This is f*cking
Linux Audio you know... ;)