[LAU] Some late summer music

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 02:14:08 EDT 2009

Hi Jostein,

> Starting with the good stuff first (and this is the most important): Great
> singing and voice and great song! And all that musical things with instruments
> and vocals that happens on the chorus makes me wanna play the song over and
> over - "skitbra"!   :-) You have also done a good job in separating the
> instruments in the mix.

Great :)

> Now, some words about the arrangement and the production: The way you compress
> your vocals (and adds some dist?), and cuts frequencies is a little bit much -
> I know: it's quite common to do it this days, but I think your voice have
> qualities that deserves a better treatment. Another word about the drums: The
> HH do have way to high volume and the song will benefit if you do some "pedal
> Hi-hat" in 4/4 when playing on the toms; the float stops when the HH stops.
> Also consider to use some decaying instrument in the choruses.
>
> Did you sit a little long time when mixing? I hope you take some rest from the
> song and try one more time. You and this song deserves to be heard by a big
> audience :-)

Many thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have a history of compressing the
hell out of my songs. Actually I did hold back a bit with this one,
but I suppose I overdid it again ;-)
I will have a listen later and see if I can change anything.

The vocals, yes, they are quite compressed. I do like them that way.
If they are distorted I didn't mean to, perhaps I recorded them too
hot.
As far as I can remember I didn't cut any frequencies but I did
increase the highs quite a bit (I thought it was muddy, perhaps it's
all connected, being overcompressed etc..), which is pretty much the
same. I will check it out.

Very interesting comment about adding pedal HH, drums are a constant
sorrow and I don't know enough about how a real drummer would do it.

Decaying instruments in the chorus.. hmm not sure I agree. The chorus
is very much overloaded, I've been considering taking away some stuff
there. Interesting advice nevertheless, though I will probably not
change it this time around.

Thanks.
Robert