[LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Tue Sep 22 17:18:26 EDT 2009

just read this:

cunnilinux himself schrieb:
>>> But actually you guys lost me a bit, what is so important about the plugin paradigma?
>
> if you have quite a lot plugins with good presets, you actually don't
> have to learn anything. just try this and try that, and you've done.

wow, its against all my views and ways to make (electronic) music. When
I started in 1983 the first synths with storage were already available
but relying on presets was quite uncommon, it felt a bit like using a
homekeyboard. I am the one who deletes all presets first when getting a
new hardware synth with storage, as with the last additions V-SynthXT
and Machinedrum to the studio.

Do you really think you can create something interesting these days with
riding presets? I start to recognize Omnisphere everywhere, just like
Korg Wavestation in the 90s. Actually I am a bit afraid that using the
old tools in the old ways bears old sounding results. Now that sonically
everything is possible I am starting to rethinking and questioning the
typical (software) sequencers, thoughts which are actually much much older.

A bit of more sonic creativity can spice up every genre.

Cheers,

Malte

--
----
media art + development

new software released: contrOSC, control your Mackie C4 with OSC
http://controsc.sourceforge.net