[LAU] Musical Score Editors - some advice for beginners

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Sep 23 13:36:38 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 23 September 2009 19:26:50 Josh Lawrence wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Michael Roberts <michael7951 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Then I found NtEd.  I'm surprised there is little mention of it in the
> > archives here.  I found it to be the only serious composition tool that
> > installed and ran without any problems, and very easy to use.  If you
> > want to make use of midi, the latest version ( 1.8.0 ) supports creating
> > a score from playing a midi keyboard.  The developer's website and
> > documentation is comprehensive and well written.  So if you are more
> > interested in composing music than tweaking Linux music apps, I recommend
> > you check out NtEd.
>
> ok, your post brings up a question in my mind:  are you using NtEd as
> a midi sequencer, or are you composing note-by-note, and using the
> notation capabilities after-the-fact?

As of 1.8.0, nted is ready to play. One can without much trouble enter a score
start to finish. Only the old noteedit let me do that before. Mscore (is this
still being developed?) promised to be a linux sibelius, is a very snazzy
program indeed, but suffers from some instablitity and controversial UI
decisions (in my mind--I like this program a lot but have not succeded with
it). Denemo, once one learns how to use it, is an alternative, feeding
lilypond for output.