[LAU] [ot] chaing the login-prompt

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed Sep 23 17:45:55 EDT 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Julien Claassen wrote:

> Hello!
>   I'm sorry, I know I have been a bit off-topicy recently. I promise to get
> better. But there is one question left:
>   Is there a way - short of hacking login.c from the shadow package - to
> change the login prompt, which usually says:
> hostname login:
>   ? I tried and tried, read a lot of stuff, but mostly about the shell prompt
> or the graphical login managers. Any idea about the console? I found francine
> from the fancy login project, but even it only offered "login:" and
> "password:" at certain positions on the screen.
>   I eventually ended up building login from source and changing the
> loginprompt, but couldn't get to the "Password:" prompt. I know it's aa bit
> silly, but I simply can't believe, that with so much configurability you can't
> change this!

Lots of things in Linux seem to imitate the behavior of Sun systems.
The console login looks just like that in Solaris.  Never tried to
change it though, although I'm sure somewhere you can.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky