[LAU] [ot] chaing the login-prompt

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Wed Sep 23 17:56:09 EDT 2009

Hello Mark!
   Thanks for the post, but that's exactly, what I've found all along,
customizing the prompt of the shell, not that of the login-program, which
getty (and its relatives) starts.
   The shell is no problem, it's easy enough to find, the shell has a huge
manpage and docs. Only login is a bit more complicated. The way I've seen it,
the loginprompt is handed to pam from the login program, but the password
prompt seems to be hardcoded into pam. I've looked at the pam_set_item
function, which login.c uses to set the prompt, but there's nothing for the
password. :-(
   Kindest regards
           Julien

--------