[LAU] MTC syncing Ardour to hardware sequencer as a slave

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Mon Sep 28 01:33:35 EDT 2009

This is my first attempt at getting Ardour to receive MTC.  I am syncing
it to an Akai MPC2000.  I have set 160bpm on both ends, with Ardour set
to receive MTC and MMC, and have left fps set to 30.  Sync to MTC is on,
and QJackCtl has been setup to connect Ardour's virtual port with the
USB MIDI port that the MTC is coming in through.  The MPC2000 is setup
to output MTC and MMC, and its frame rate is set to 30fps.

If it completely didn't work, that would be easier to troubleshoot than
what it is doing:  It works only when seeking forward and back with the
transport controls, but not when I press record or play on the MPC2000.
Very strange.

I can move forward and back a bar at a time with the [<] and [>] buttons
on the Akai, and Ardour will move along perfectly in sync on each
keypress, keeping to the same point in the timeline.  If I make the Akai
"Play From Start", it will even jump back to the beginning.

But under no circumstances I have been able to find will it actually
play.  It knows that a "Play From Start" command requires jumping to the
beginning, but then that's all it does.  If I arm tracks to record and
set the system record light flashing, pressing play on the Akai does not
make Ardour start recording; it just sits there waiting while the Akai
plays.

I'm probably missing something dumb here.  Is there anything that could
cause Ardour to track forward and backward seeks through the timeline
but not start and stop?  It sounds like it's not getting MMC to me,
except it should be -- it's enabled at both ends.  I'm puzzled.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky