[LAU] Light laptop setup ?

Bengt Gördén bengan at bag.org
Mon Sep 28 02:07:30 EDT 2009

On måndag 28 september 2009 00:48:13 lanas wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:30:54 +1000,
>
> M Watts <zwy648rct at gmail.com> wrote :
> > On 09/28/2009 03:36 AM, lanas wrote:
> >
> > > 1) What is the most easiest-to-setup MIDI/audio interface for a
> > > laptop ?  Fedora 11 will be installed on the laptop.
> >
> > Then easiest would be Planet CCRMA.  From a fresh F11 install, I did
> >
> > rpm --import
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/RPM-GPG-KEY.planetccrma.txt
> >
> > and
> >
> > rpm -Uvh
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/11/
> >i386/planetccrma-repo-1.1-2.fc11.ccrma.noarch.rpm
>
> I know.  I've tried launching jack (qjackctl) on both F11 x86_64
> worskations and it fails on both, failing to open alsa device or
> something like that.  Of course, regular sound works on both machines.
> I bookmarked a cript I think made by Fernando (CCRMA) to be able to
> actually use jacks and I should take a look at it.

Probably something holding your audio device. jackd want to be the sole owner
of the audio device. For me it's always knotify4 (in this  version. probably fixed
in recent kde versions, I hope). I check that with lsof. Example:

~/sound/hydrogen> lsof | egrep snd
knotify4   4247     bengan  mem       CHR              116,4                5186 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
knotify4   4247     bengan  mem       CHR              116,3                5180 /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
knotify4   4247     bengan   17u      CHR              116,3        0t0     5180 /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
knotify4   4247     bengan   18r      CHR              116,2        0t0     4926 /dev/snd/timer
knotify4   4247     bengan   19u      CHR              116,4        0t0     5186 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
knotify4   4247     bengan   20u      CHR              116,8        0t0     5209 /dev/snd/controlC0
knotify4   4247     bengan   22r      CHR              116,2        0t0     4926 /dev/snd/timer
knotify4   4247     bengan   23u      CHR              116,4        0t0     5186 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
knotify4   4247     bengan   24u      CHR              116,8        0t0     5209 /dev/snd/controlC0
kmix       4697     bengan   10u      CHR              116,8        0t0     5209 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi  4970     bengan  mem       REG                8,6     347800   230684 /usr/lib64/libsndfile.so.1.0.17
pulseaudi  4970     bengan   20u      CHR              116,8        0t0     5209 /dev/snd/controlC0
qjackctl  28925     bengan   12u      CHR              116,9        0t0     7878 /dev/snd/seq

Or simpler:
~/sound/hydrogen> lsof /dev/snd/pcm*
COMMAND    PID   USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
knotify4   4247     bengan  mem       CHR              116,4                5186 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
knotify4   4247     bengan  mem       CHR              116,3                5180 /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
knotify4   4247     bengan   17u      CHR              116,3        0t0     5180 /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
knotify4   4247     bengan   19u      CHR              116,4        0t0     5186 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
knotify4   4247     bengan   23u      CHR              116,4        0t0     5186 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

Just kill it and try again.

~/sound/hydrogen> killall knotify4
~/sound/hydrogen> lsof | egrep snd
kmix       4697     bengan   10u      CHR              116,8        0t0     5209 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi  4970     bengan  mem       REG                8,6     347800   230684 /usr/lib64/libsndfile.so.1.0.17
pulseaudi  4970     bengan   20u      CHR              116,8        0t0     5209 /dev/snd/controlC0

A bit brutal but it works. It could also be that your trying to start
jackd with realtime priority and don't have a rt-kernel. But I gather
you know that.

/bengan