[LAU] phasex-0.12.0-beta4

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Wed Sep 30 07:26:28 EDT 2009

William Weston <weston at sysex.net> writes:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>
>> Nedko Arnaudov <nedko at arnaudov.name> writes:
>>
>>> I get "wrong" sound. JACK reports no xruns.
>>>
>>> http://nedko.arnaudov.name/tmp/phasex.wav
>
> Yup.  I know the sound well, and hopefully now it's nothing more than
> a memory.  The broken ringbuffer read has been fixed, and now uses two
> buffer periods instead of one.  0.12.0-pre1 should treat you right.
>
>> Some more info...
>> Switching tabs in my window manager (ion3) causes artefacts in phasex
>> sound. I run jack2 in realtime mode, dsp load is about 15%. I run
>> a 2.6.23.1-rt11 kernel. I run the opensource radeon driver. My audiocard
>> and rtc IRQ threads run at higher priority than JACK (82 and 98). JACK
>> runs at priority 80.
>
> 0.12.0-pre1 now defaults to SCHED_RR and should behave a little
> better.  I can run muse, hydrogen, and six instances of phasex on my
> Turion laptop, clock it down to 1.6GHz, fire off a couple mprime
> stress tester threads, and switch tabs to my heart's content without
> hearing the "wrong" sound now.  This has been tested both with and
> without the opensource radeon drm.  If you can, enable BackingStore in
> the "Device" section of your xorg.conf so the knobs don't have to be
> redrawn every tinme you switch tabs.
>
> The clocks in my Turion really don't like the 2.6.23-rt or 2.6.24-rt
> kernels, so all of this has been tested on 2.6.31-rt11. This is the
> first kernel on this particular laptop that can give me drm, exa
> acceleration, and backing store at the same time.
>
>> # ps -eLo rtprio,pid,spid,class,args |sort -rn|head -n 20
>>    99     4     4 FF  [posix_cpu_timer]
>>    99     3     3 FF  [migration/0]
>>    98   845   845 FF  [IRQ-8]
>>    97     5     5 FF  [softirq-high/0]
>>    82  1232  1232 FF  [IRQ-20]
>>    80 12779 22340 RR  /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
>>    80 12779 22338 RR  /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
>>    80 12779 22337 RR  /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
>>    77 22421 22424 FF  phasex-01
>>    75 22421 22427 RR  phasex-01
>>    75 22342 22355 RR  /usr/bin/a2jmidid dbus
>>    50     9     9 FF  [softirq-block/0]
>>    50   989   989 FF  [IRQ-17]
>>    50   921   921 FF  [IRQ-16]
>>    50     8     8 FF  [softirq-net-rx/]
>>    50   854   854 FF  [IRQ-15]
>>    50   851   851 FF  [IRQ-14]
>>    50    80    80 FF  [IRQ-9]
>>    50     7     7 FF  [softirq-net-tx/]
>>    50     6     6 FF  [softirq-timer/0]

I fixed it by tweaking the thread priorities in phasex settings window.

midi_thread_priority	= 70;
engine_thread_priority	= 75;

Are you sure that it was caused by a ringbuffer problem?

> It's been suggested in the past to put the softirq-high threads at a
> high priority (just under the rtc, like you have done), but I get
> xruns whenever I put it above JACK.   What kind of audio hardware and
> clock hardware do you have?  Just curious.

soundcard is emu10k1 (sblive value)
no idea about clock hardware

> Give 0.12.0-pre1 a spin and let me know how it goes.

If there is JACK MIDI, there will be one thread less, right?

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>