[LAU] How to handle large amount of pdf files (music sheets) for collaborative usage

Nils Hammerfest list at nilsgey.de
Sat Apr 3 11:56:23 EDT 2010

> Get a quality enterprise content management system. There is a
> full-blown FOSS one called Alfresco that you could try out and see how
> it goes:
>
> http://www.alfresco.com/products/networks/compare/

Thanks for your information. I will have a look at this

> > 2) Do you know any free PDF editor besides "PDFEdit" (which seemed fine from screenshots and descriptions, but first tries were not successful)
>
> Sorry, have no clue there, the usual advice about editing PDFs is to
> edit the SOURCE document and regenerate the PDF. PDFs really aren't
> intended to be edited - text editing even in Adobe Acrobat is tedious.

The problem here is that those PDFs are generated by scans. So in fact we are dealing with mostly images of notation here. The main tasks here are to add/delete pages, rotate single pages or "all uneven" etc. or crop borders for a section, selection, all etc. and in the end save them again. I think with some scripts it should be possible to do the decrompress/compress thing from pdf->images->pdf but still this leaves the point of pagewise editing. I don't know for sure but I think gimp or inkscape cannot do this.

Nils