[LAU] JACK (or LADSPA or LV2) spectrum analyzer?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Apr 3 16:32:13 EDT 2010

On Saturday 03 April 2010 20:16:53 drew Roberts wrote:
> On Friday 02 April 2010 07:48:39 Arnold Krille wrote:
> > On Friday 02 April 2010 03:30:22 Ken Restivo wrote:
> > > I'm mixing away, and at times I want to LOOK at the spectrum of a
> > > sound-- my ears are not yet well-developed enough for me to say "oh,
> > > that lump is at about 420Hz, and there's another at 3172Hz...", and
> > > sitting here sweeping with a parametric EQ seems prone to inaccuracy.
> >
> > But sweeping through frequencies with the parametric is probably the only
> > way to learn it. Looking at a spectrum analyser is fun but it teaches
> > your eyes, not your ears.
> > And I think most people want music for their ears, not music for the
> > eyes...
> >
> > > Is there a LADSPA or LV2 spectrum analyzer, similar to the one that's
> > > in JAMIN? And/or, is there a standalone JACK spectrum analyzer-- less
> > > heavyweight than JAMIN-- that I could use as a client, and just patch
> > > it in and out of tracks to view them?
> >
> > japa is great. You can even use it to set up the pa. For that it has pink
> > and white noise generators built in... But you have to be aware of the
> > bass- changing effect of the update-interval...
>
> What are the implications of setting up with an empty room and playing to a
> full room?

An empty room shows more bass, if the room is filled with people, the standing
waves (modes of the room) get absorbed.

The problem with analysers is: I don't remember exactly which way around, but
I think with long integration (to get a more stable line) the bass is shown
stronger then it really is. So you might "tune" the system to have a straight
line on the analyser and as soon as you use your ears, you realize that the
bass is not there. Better use your ears from the beginning.
An analyser is great to see dips and feedbacks in the mid-to-upper
frequencies.

Have fun,

Arnold