[LAU] RF noise suppression?

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sat Apr 3 19:09:10 EDT 2010

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:

> Do you mean TRS plugs inserted 'half way' to get the output
> of the insert on the plug's tip ? That means:
>
> * the connection is unbalanced, and worse
> * the ground of your input probably remains
>  unconnected.
>
> This is not even supposed to work.

   Agreed.  I'm using the board's balanced direct outs for the first eight
channels, which go directly into the saffire.  The other 16 are unbalanced
TS lines from the insert jacks to the RCA Phono inputs of a pair of old
ADAT LX20's which I'm using as outboard A/Ds, and then lightpipe to the
saffire.  Eventually, I'll replace them with a pair of Octopre mkII's and
get everything balanced, but until I discover a spare kilobuck laying
around, I've got to use what I've got...

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009