[LAU] JACK (or LADSPA or LV2) spectrum analyzer? -- NEVERMIND, I found?japa!

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Apr 6 15:43:13 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:20:12PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> On Monday 05 April 2010 20:48:03 Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > Ken Restivo wrote:
> > > Of course there is.... JAPA does exactly what I want.
> > Thanks for asking the question and letting me discover japa, very
> > useful, I think I'm gonna be mixing with that running the next times!
>
> Please don't use it while mixing.
>
> Music is for ears, not for eyes. There is no point in a flat line in japa
> produced by your music when it sounds like sh*, has flat voice, mistuned
> instruments and sloppy rythm.
>
> Use it to analyse your final mix in the beta stage. Use it to measure (and
> correct) your listening environment. Use it to train your ears with music of
> others.
> But please don't use it for mixing music.

As Japa's creator I do agree with this.

You *can* use Japa while mixing, but indeed don't
make the mistake that a 'flat spectrum' is a target
to go for. It isn't. And Japa has more than one idea
of what constitues a 'flat spectrum' anyway.

Japa is a tool like any other, and if I may say so,
a good one. But *you* have to learn and use it, it
is not a substitute for training your ears, and for
being able to listen critically.

Ciao,

--
FA