[LAU] JACK (or LADSPA or LV2) spectrum analyzer? -- NEVERMIND, I found japa!

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Apr 6 20:15:30 EDT 2010

On 04/07/2010 12:26 AM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:50:24PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> sure you can stubbornly aim at a flat spectrum while mixing. some
>> legendary recordings have been made like that. donald fagen, the
>> nightfly, anyone?
>
> ??? NO WAY.
>
> I've just been running some tracks (IGY, Ruby baby, Maxine,
> New frontier, Walk between the raindrops) through Japa and
> they don't look 'flat' at all.

well, not in the literal sense - how could it?

but in the sense that there is constant action in every major frequency
band pretty much all the time, which is why it's so quick to equalise a
p.a. system with it. no need to loop or skip.

i'm pretty sure that was what fagen was aiming at - to produce dense
music that stays transparent yet has a very wide spectrum, constantly.
and i wouldn't put it past him to check on the analyser where there's
some space left for yet another sound layer or part ;)

>> sure, it means nobody in their right minds will listen to your album
>> outside of a p.a. soundcheck, but hey, that's one approach to
>> immortality... (i still use that track when no one's looking)
>
> Or listening. It's one of my favourites,

it really is? well, maybe i've worn it out at work. i find it a little
to perfect for recreational listening.

> along with 'Heavy Weather'
> (Weather Report)

hey ho! that's more like it :) i need to dig out that LP i have... but
my personal preference is "mysterious traveller".

> and Joni Mitchell's 'The hissing of summer lawns'.

don't know that one, but i really need to get a few more of joni's
albums - all i have is "mingus" which is brilliant but only digestible
for mingus and joni lovers, and a greatest hits album which has
woodstock, both sides now, circle game, free man in paris and yellow
taxi on it :)