[LAU] vorbis support in lame is deprecated

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 04:07:47 EDT 2010

Philipp wrote:
> Excerpts from david's message of 2010-04-07 21:53:15 +0200:
>> Lorenzo wrote:
>>
>>> By the way, there are relatively cheap portable players which support
>>> OGG and FLAC
>> Really? Never seen one anywhere. My little portable CD player only does
>> MP3 and WMA.
>>
>> Of course, I use my laptop as my music player, no problem supporting a
>> whole pile of media formats including OGG and FLAC.
>
> A friend of mine has a really tiny sandisk one which plays vorbis at
> least. I think it's not that uncommon anymore.
> Vorbis and flac at least are rather often supported but it's not often
> something marketing uses prominently.
>
> With other formats, like wavpack, you'll have less luck.

I have to agree that marketing (by non-Apple player makers) isn't very
good. Out here, at least, the main marketing message is "more space
cheaper than iPod". Nothing else gets mentioned.

Also what never gets mentioned is "Do these non-Apple iPod competitors
work with iTunes"? Not that I use iTunes, but apparently a lot of people do.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community