[LAU] Some new music made (mostly) with Linux -- comments on mix?

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 21:28:44 EDT 2010

OK, one last take.  This one tries a little harder to keep the punch,
backs off on the reverb and compression, and also tries harder to
limit/level the bass so there aren't places where the mid-bass
suddenly booms right through the mix.  It also brings the loudness up
a bit more to match typical contemporary music, though I tried not to
overdo it.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/lahar/foie-A-test3.ogg
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/lahar/ginseng-A-test3.ogg

Unfortunately with the multiband compression bringing some of the
treble detail more forward, it's clear the original instrumental
tracks have clipping in places (or some clipping happened somewhere in
mixdown).  I think that's where the clicking in the sax and some of
the guitar in Foie is coming from, and in most of the second half of
Ginseng the snare is very buzzy/distorted as if clipped. It's like
that in the track before I started messing with it, just much less
noticable.

This is mostly for my own amusement, I haven't gotten to do any
armchair mastering in a long time :-)  I know it's not particularly
'pro'. And I''m too in love with reverb.

(I'll take the tracks down in a day or two.  Or immediately if Ken prefers.)

Cheers,
Monty