[LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Apr 12 11:44:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 03:44:21PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> we have 32 bit floats, with 23 bits of mantissa and a sign, which gives
> us 24 bits of precision, pretty much regardless of value range, thanks
> to floats being floats.
>
> multiplying two floats will introduce a rounding error in the least
> significant bit. that means it adds noise. at a level of -144dBFS.

Not FS - it's relative to the resulting signal. Which makes
it even more irrelevant.

> if all those cable and bit transparency fetishists knew how reference
> classical recordings are produced, the whole discussion (and large parts
> of the high-end market) would go down in flames.

For one, I've never seen a gold-plated XLR,
nor any left-twisting-oxygen mic cables.
Some mics are assembled by fair-haired Cheshire
virgins, that of course makes a big difference.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?