[LAU] JACK (or LADSPA or LV2) spectrum analyzer? -- NEVERMIND, I found japa!

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Apr 13 03:04:02 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:11:14PM +0200, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:15:30AM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
> > well, not in the literal sense - how could it?
> >
> > but in the sense that there is constant action in every major frequency
> > band pretty much all the time, which is why it's so quick to equalise a
> > p.a. system with it. no need to loop or skip.
> >
> > i'm pretty sure that was what fagen was aiming at - to produce dense
> > music that stays transparent yet has a very wide spectrum, constantly.
> > and i wouldn't put it past him to check on the analyser where there's
> > some space left for yet another sound layer or part ;)
>
> In that sense surely, but then I'd think Fagen is not
> alone - any producer going for a 'rich' arrangement will
> take care not to cram everything in the same part of the
> spectrum. Don't have any ABBA here, but I wonder how they
> measure on Japa...

My favorite record of perhaps all time is Thomas Dolby's "Aliens Ate My Buick".

Dolby's "The Flat Earth" is a close second (notice a pattern?).

I love Dolby's and Bill Bottrell's production. The stuff is so transparent, and seems so simple and clean, yet there are tons of little details hidden in there.

-ken