[LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Apr 14 08:56:53 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:

>   Last weekend, I was running FOH for a couple of concerts, and the artist
> had hired a professional recording engineer to lay down a multitrack of
> the show for possible commercial release.  THey had a few 'special
> surprise guests' showing up, so I kept bringging out 'just one more'
> microphone until the channel count was up to 22, I think.  After sound
> check, the recording engineer expressed some trepidation that his
> external hard drive could handle all that bandwidth.  I asked him if he
> had pushed record and tried it during soundcheck, and he said "Of course,
> but you know when they get excited and start playing loud during the show,
> it fills up those bits pretty quick, and maybe then the firewire800 won't
> be fast enough."

good story.

what's ironic though is that its now reasonably well documented that
if the disk drive is in the line of fire when they start to play loud,
it really will be unable to keep up. this has nothing to do with bit
rates, but is (probably) caused by the the vibrations causing read
failures which necessitate a lot of retrys, thus slowing down the
effective streaming bandwidth of the disk. if the disk is kept out the
way of direct incoming sound, the issue goes away.

yes, really!

--p