[LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 19:33:26 EDT 2010

On 15 April 2010 06:57, Philipp <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Arnold Krille's message of 2010-04-14 23:39:44 +0200:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wednesday 14 April 2010 23:17:05 micromoog wrote:
>> > Sorry to pick on you, but this is the piece of audio voodoo that irks me
>> > most of all.  There is no evidence I'm aware of that supports the idea that
>> > ultrasound has any effect whatsoever on human perception of anything.
>>
>> I am not into that field of science but as far as I know there is research in
>> that there are effects when >22kHz frequencies are in a normal sound, it makes
>> a different effect then when the signal is clipped frequency-wise at 22kHz.
>> Difference between a violin played inside the room you are and a violin-
>> recording you hear from CD.
>> But I don't actually know if that is proven enough or if its voodoo...
>
> The violin likely sounds different than speakers, but I guess it's
> more likely due to its radiation pattern and things like that which are,
> I guess, very hard to capture and reproduce accurately. Just a thought.

Yes, it is actually part voodoo, and (probably) part documented
(lecturers will include it in their 5 minutes of knowledge-sharing).
The science of the particular effect or effects resulting from the
addition of frequencies to > 20kHz to those below that range and
within the audible spectrum have yet to be set in stone (or a thesis).

That is the exact opposite of the advice to handle subsonic
frequencies with great care; you can fly supersonic as far as your
ears cannot handle. Basically, even when you're in an Anechoic
Chamber, you will not be able to benchmark the two cases, but the
signal which has the "enhanced" additions (think exciters in a loose
way) will work its voodoo on your ears and brain receptors, leading to
a more pleasing result of the two. Yes, average Joe will "feel" it
too.

Those kinds of experiments are hard to conclude, as there are very
little numbers aside from the amount of experienced industry guinea
pigs and multiple sittings across weeks or even months.

As you may or may not know, Science is part voodoo too.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD