[LAU] Large Scale DRC

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 01:29:52 EDT 2010

I'm reading up on DRC, (Specifically Denis Sbragion's DRC project + BruteFIR ) and most of the content I can find seems to be focused on things like "Hifi", home theater, sound studios etc.

Does anybody know how effective DRC would be on a much larger scale? If I'm working with line arrays and multiple delays in a large venue, is it very realistic to think that DRC could be able to make a noticeable difference over the listening area as a whole rather than just at the single spot where the mic was located? Is is possible to take multiple samples and create an "average" of the samples to get a better representation of the room as a whole rather than just at one single point? Would you get samples from individual speaker clusters, or the system as a whole?

And I'm thinking of more of a touring scenario rather than a fixed installation, so would something like that even be worth the time it would take?

Is there any documentation about large scale DRC anywhere?

-Reuben