[LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

Gwenhwyfaer gwenhwyfaer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 05:22:42 EDT 2010

On 14/04/2010, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> I am not into that field of science but as far as I know there is research
> in that there are effects when >22kHz frequencies are in a normal sound

Then tell us where the research is. It shouldn't be hard to find.

Especially when it's so easy to posit an experiment to do such testing
with DACs that can reproduce signals up to 192kHz. Simply generate,
additively, some interesting spectra with and without frequency
components above a person's established audibility threshold, and see
if they can be ABX'd. (You'll want to ensure that your DAC isn't
curtailing your frequency response prematurely, of course; you'll also
want to ensure that your speakers can properly reproduce those
frequencies, too, rather than only converting them into heat - which
will certainly affect the tonal nature of the speaker's reproduction
of audible frequencies... so decent crossover filtering for your
woofers is probably advised too.)

If a phenomenon can't be ABX'd reliably under advantageous conditions,
it has no objective existence - and anyone trying to claim otherwise
is peddling fairy stories.

> What if you you realize that you feel better with that frequency on?

If you haven't confirmed it objectively, you haven't "realised"
anything - you've merely given yourself a shiny new superstition.

> If its only you out of 100 people, its voodoo. If its 99 out of 100 people,
> its a fact proven by science.

And the prize for "most egregious misunderstanding of the scientific
process" goes to...