[LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Thu Apr 15 20:43:33 UTC 2010

>And let me add that psychoacoustics is not the same as
>subjectivism -

you are correct in that they are not the same
but psychoacoustics does study the  _subjective_  human perception of auditory phenomena
not the _objective_ human perception of auditory phenomena

and while there are acoustic phenomena common to all healthy hearing/neurology which can be measured
you are glossing over two factors involved in psychoacoustics which render most scientific generalization sort of dicey: emotional state and cultural bias

and anyway my post was referring to the claim that if a property of a mix can't be scientifically measured then it doesn't exist -- which we all know is poppycock because 'music mastering' is NOT a science - it is pure sonic voodoo